Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac
Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are common rashes caused by an oil found in and on the plants. The rash develops 12 to 72 hours after the skin comes into contact with the oil. The rash is not contagious and does not spread. It might seem to spread, but this is a delayed reaction.
This oil can cause mild rashes that resolve within days to a week or a serious reaction that can lead to face and eye swelling in addition to a rash. Severe allergic reactions to the plans can cause trouble breathing or swallowing which is a medical emergency.
Should I go to a dermatologists treat poison ivy?
A dermatologist can diagnose and treat the rash caused by poison ivy, oak, or sumac. If you have a serious reaction, you will likely need prescription steroid ointment that you can apply to the affected areas of skin. To treat a severe case, a strong oral medicine, like prednisone, may be necessary. Please schedule an appointment with Dr. Bosley if it is more than a mild case.